Christopherson is Teacher of the Year

Jeff Christopherson

Jeff Christopherson

Department of Chemistry alumnus Jeff Christopherson is the recipient of the 2010 Illinois Chemistry Teacher of the Year award. He is an instructor at Normal Community High School. Christopherson accepted the award, bestowed by the Chemical Industry Council of Illinois (CICI), at a luncheon on May 5 in Schiller Park. The honor is given annually to chemistry teachers who promote better academic understanding of chemistry as an industry.

Recipients of the award must be enthusiastic about teaching chemistry and generate the same interest and enthusiasm in students. “It was rewarding to have others recognize the contributions I’ve made to the high school chemistry community through my website (www.unit5.org/chemistry) and the Free Instructional Support CD that is mailed out to teachers all over the country and world by Center for Mathematics, Science, and Technology (CeMaST) at Illinois State University,” said Christopherson. “The Davidson Award has validated the years of hard work I’ve put in to developing my teaching and materials I use in my classroom. It has also reinvigorated me to work harder to get kids excited about chemistry from an early age and encouraging them to pursue a chemistry related career. I am proud to be recognized as one of the top high school chemistry teachers in the state of Illinois. I work with many great teachers and know that many others could have been selected for this great honor.”

Dr. John Baur, chair of the Illinois State University Department of Chemistry, said “Jeff is a very popular and highly successful teacher at NCHS and uses innovative teaching methods in his classroom. He is well-deserving of the Davidson Award, which is rarely given to a teacher from downstate Illinois. Jeff is an outstanding representative of ISU Chemistry, and is in fact the second consecutive alumnus of the Department to receive the award. Karl Craddock ’99, a high school teacher at Fremd High School in Palatine, was the recipient in 2009.”

This entry was posted in Chemistry. Bookmark the permalink.